SEO can be broken down into many categories. The most important parts are content, architecture and last but not the least backlinks. These are three big importances in the core of SEO. Many website struggles with optimization due to problems in URL structure of their website. These sites suffer from many major problems like duplicating contents issues, bad URL structuring, and drop in ranking.
I have narrowed down three most common problems that many websites have due to bad URL. Just read the suggestions below and start updating as soon as possible.
Difference between Non-www and www Versions of Site URLs
You need to make sure that you are capturing 100% of links on the page which you want to get rank well by search engines. A good URL doesn’t have two version, that is, non-www and www version. The reason why should you possibly not have two different URL because all your link juice will be distributed. Hence, you want to fix this as soon as possible.
How to Fix
There are a couple of things you need to do to fix this:
- Instead of using two, just decide which style you want to use. Use either non-www version or www
- Redirecting 301 page help you to go your non-preferred URL go in a right way. Ultimately, you won’t be splitting it into two and waste the valuable links.
- Set your preferred domain in Google Webmaster Tools so your search result listings are consistent with your style preference.
- Use Google Webmaster Tools for researching keywords and maintain your consistency.
Issue of duplicate URLs
Avoid Duplicate Home Page URLs linking to your homepage. Make sure you fix the URL issues and choose www or –www version. Nothing doing this and you will get duplicate issues.
Duplicate issue will bring on by Google if you don’t care about this these links. Unfortunately your real backlinks will be distributed. Other types of duplication issues come in a same site which have different extension like php, html, hml. Etc.
How to Fix this
The fix here is very similar to the first one. Here are a few tips:
- Set your main home page URL to be http://www.mysite.com. 301 redirect
- Setting your main home page URL should have something like http://mydirectorylink .com and if you prefer a non =-www. You can leave it alone. When you want to change to different URL the canonical tag to show the search engines Make sure when you build links to your home page that you link to the correct version.
- Check the backlinks that are linking back to the real vesion.
However the URL should be structured well.
There are other causes for the dynamic URL problem. A lot of companies use these parameter-based URLs for statistical purposes. We just want to make sure that you don’t shoot yourself in the foot from an SEO perspective.
Problem wont be showing because when someone use a unique ID backlinks. Instead of putting links of 5K affiliates, it is much better if you get around only 1K. The links could be from Affiliate
How to Fix
If possible, make sure that your site is using SEO-friendly base URLs. It’s better to have a base URL that will lead to the content rather than a URL that relies on a parameter. For example: http://www.mysite.com/unique-product.html is much better than http://www.mysite.com/category.php?prod=123 where some generic category page is really the base URL.
Make sure that you are putting. Google loves. like mydirectorylink.com/mydirectory instead of mydirectorylin.com/category.php?prod=123/
Setting up a canonical tag allows you to use the base version of the URL. Use http://www.mysite.com/unique-product.html?param1=123¶m2=42 to get data.
This is perhaps one of the better ways which is by capturing the data on side host and redirecting the visitors to right URL. Affiliate network ShareASale and CJ can be helpful.
Share this article in social media and help the community
Latest posts by Kayes (see all)
- GDPR Compliance – The GDPR Checklist to Make Your Site GDPR Compliant - Jun 19, 2018
- Web hosting Facts every business owner should know - Dec 1, 2015
- WordPress Hosting – How to Choose the Best - Nov 28, 2015